Nail polishes often contain various chemical ingredients, including formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate (DBP). These chemicals can be harmful when frequently exposed to them.
Some individuals may develop allergic reactions to the chemicals in nail polish, leading to symptoms such as redness, itching, swelling, and even blisters or rashes on the skin around the nails.
Frequent use of nail polish and nail polish remover, especially those containing acetone for removal, can weaken your nails and make them brittle, dry, and prone to breakage.
Applying nail polish releases volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air, which can be inhaled during application. Continuous exposure to VOCs may cause respiratory irritation and long-term health effects.
Some nail polishes, particularly darker shades, can stain the nails, leaving them discoloured and yellowed. The pigments in the polish can penetrate the nail surface and result in unsightly discolouration.
Nail polishes often contain toxic chemicals that can be absorbed through the nail plate and enter the bloodstream. Prolonged exposure to these toxins can cause adverse effects on overall health.
Certain chemicals present in nail polish, such as formaldehyde and DBP, have been associated with reproductive issues and developmental abnormalities. Pregnant women and those planning to conceive should be cautious about prolonged exposure.
Wearing nail polish continuously without allowing the nails to breathe can create a moist environment, promoting the growth of nail fungus and bacterial infections.
Some chemicals found in nail polish, such as phthalates, can disrupt hormonal balance in your body, leading to health issues in the long run.
Improper disposal of nail polish and its remover can contribute to environmental pollution. The chemicals can seep into soil and water systems, harming aquatic life and ecosystems.