Best Foods And Supplements To Boost Collagen And Elastin Production In Your Body
Do you know what gives your skin firmness, elasticity, strength, and resilience? It’s the two naturally found proteins in your body - collagen and elastin. While collagen provides rigidity, elastin allows skin to stretch. Both together make up the bulk of all connective tissues. They are especially plentiful in the deeper layers of the skin, where they are responsible for providing structure and pliability.
Collagen and elastin levels naturally decline with age. An unhealthy lifestyle characterised by a diet of overprocessed foods, excessive intake of alcohol, smoking and lack of exercise also speed up the skin ageing process by reducing their production.
So, what can you do to make sure that your body produces enough of both the proteins, and you have younger looking skin? The famous acupuncturist, Dr. Jewel Gamadia suggests a few foods and supplements that you can add to the diet to increase both collagen and elastin levels in the skin.
Foods to boost collagen and elastin production
1. Dates: Have at least two dry or soaked dates in the morning as they are rich in iron. Dr. Gamadia says, in the morning, the body’s metabolism is very high, so it’s important to consume something that contains iron. This nutrient helps the body to carry more oxygen, which is better for skin repair and damage. Moreover, dates also contain Vitamin C and D that work on skin elasticity and keep the skin smooth.
2. Oranges: Prepare a juice from two-three oranges and then add a small teaspoon of spirulina powder in it. Mix it well and then drink it slowly. The combination of oranges and spirulina powder gives the body the major ingredient that it requires to produce collagen and elastin.
3. Protein rich foods: Have protein rich foods like tofu, fish and lean meat because they contain lysine and proline that aid skin production of collagen and elastin. Adding more protein to the meals is beneficial for skin in the long run.
4. Sweet Potato: Rich in Vitamin A, sweet potato uses this vitamin to boost collagen and elastin production in the body. In addition to this, it also supports cell health directly.
Supplements to boost collagen and elastin production
Dr. Gamadia recommends having the above foods for at least three weeks before starting with supplements, which are available in the form of tablets, capsules and powder. The supplements include:
1. Vitamin C: Vitamin C stimulates the body’s natural collagen production and helps keep the body’s collagen network in tip-top shape. This further provides the skin with a more supple, youthful appearance. As per Dr. Gamadia, one should have upto 500 mg Vitamin C supplement either in the afternoon or at night. For those who smoke, he recommends having one more tablet of Vitamin C (500 mg) as smoking leads to skin damage.
2. Vitamin A: If you have major skin damage or a deeper nasolabial fold, you should also have Vitamin A supplements. If sceptical about taking too many pills, just go for around 200 ml of carrot juice and have it regularly for at least three weeks.
Skin damage and growing age can reduce the collagen and elastin production in the skin and make it look dull, wrinkled, and saggy. To keep it healthy, protect the collagen and elastin layer by including the above mentioned foods and supplements in your diet.
Disclaimer: The above content is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a qualified physician or doctor. The Company does not vouch for or endorse any of the above content, and disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the same.