Want To Get Rid Of Acne? Know What Causes Acne And Try Out These Three Supplements
Acne not just affects the skin but also damages the self-esteem and confidence of a person. In some cases, it has even led to mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression.
Though there are a variety of products available in the market to treat this skin condition, it’s important that your diet contains all the right amount of nutrients. And if your regular diet lacks any of the nutrients, supplements can help to ensure that your skin receives them. Studies also suggest that dietary supplements can significantly reduce acne symptoms.
In this article, let us learn a little more from B-Town’s famous acupuncturist, Dr Jewel Gamadia about this skin condition and the supplements that you can take to treat acne.
What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that occurs when the opening of an oil gland gets clogged, inflamed, and infected with bacteria. When the bacteria increase, the condition starts worsening. Though it affects people of all ages, it is most common among teenagers.
What are the causes of Acne?
As per Dr Gamadia, the four main causes of acne are:
1. Consumption of high sodium food: Sodium may enhance the flavour of the meal, but high levels of sodium can deplete the life force of the skin. Moreover, it may dehydrate you, suck crucial moisture from your skin and lead to acne. It is mostly found in packaged and processed food.
2. Having sugar and sugary food: Foods high in sugar cause spikes in your body’s insulin level that can exacerbate inflammation. Steep insulin spikes increase the production of skin oils and contribute to the clogging of follicles leading to acne.
3. Having hydrogenated oil: Eating foods containing hydrogenated oil increase sebum production and cause acne. Deep fried foods and those with trans fats can also cause this skin condition.
4. Less sunlight: If you do not get enough sunlight, it can lead to deficiency of Vitamin D which is linked to the production of sebum in the skin. Its deficiency can cause hormonal imbalance and excessive secretion of sebum in the sebaceous glands which in turn results in acne breakouts in your skin.
If you take care of the above four factors, your skin condition will slowly start improving. But if it is not, Dr Gamadia suggests three supplements that can help in treating acne.
Supplements to get rid of Acne
1. Vitamin A: A part of retinoid group of compounds, Vitamin A is commonly used in over-the-counter acne treatments. It regulates the body’s ability to shed dead skin cells, helping to keep pores clear of sebum, acne causing bacteria and dirt. It is also a powerful antioxidant, helping to minimise swelling and redness in inflammatory acne breakouts. Dr Gamadia recommends having 3000 iu Vitamin A post breakfast.
2. Zinc: Zinc supplements inhibit inflammation and have an antibacterial effect on the bacteria that causes pimples. This micronutrient also reduces dihydrotestosterone (DHT) production, which can block pores and boost inflammation. To treat acne, you need to take 10-15 mg Zinc daily, either post lunch or dinner.
3. Vitamin D3: If you are dealing with acne, get your Vitamin D3 levels checked as its deficiency is one of the major causes of acne breakouts. If the levels are low, start taking its supplement of around 1000 -1500 iu on an empty stomach in the morning. Vitamin D3 works on acne by turning the immune system to kill off the bacteria that cause infections in the clogged pores.
If you only have mild acne, Dr Gamadia suggests avoiding supplements and just having carrot juice every morning. Though dealing with acne can be a little tricky, however if you follow the above recommendations diligently, it can go a long way in treating them.
Disclaimer: The above content is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a qualified physician or doctor. The Company does not vouch for or endorse any of the above content, and disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the same.