Myo-Inositol: What Is It And How Is It Useful?
Myo-Inositol not only controls sugar cravings but also helps with PCOS, fertility issues, hair fall and more.
Want to control sugar cravings and pounds effortlessly? Myo-Inositol is a solution you are looking for. It is also good for those dealing with hair loss and hormonal issues like PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome).
So, let’s learn about Myo-Inositol and its uses from one of the top Dermatologists, Dr. Nivedita Dadu.
What is Myo-Inositol?
Myo-Inositol or simple Inositol is a sugar whose structure mimics Vitamin B. It is a natural substance found in oranges, pears, peaches, beans, brown rice, nuts, seeds, and various other fibre-rich foods and citrus fruits. It works like a natural antidepressant and also helps to control sugar cravings, and binge eating resulting in weight loss. Even though it is synthesised in the body, it is also available commercially as a supplement that can be used to treat a vast number of medical conditions like PCOS, fertility issues, and irregular periods.
Uses of Myo-Inositol
Myo-Inositol is produced in our bodies from glucose and is brought to use in various biochemical processes. It is found in high quantities in our brain and other tissues and our kidneys produce about two grams of inositol daily. Scroll down to know how this vitamin-like nutrient is useful for us.
- Improves Egg Quality in Women - While there are a number of reasons that contribute to reproductive problems, the quality of a woman’s egg is one among them. Myo-Inositol supplements can help to improve egg quality and this further increases the chances of fertility.
- Reduces Insulin Resistance - Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas, which regulates the amount of glucose in the blood and when our body becomes resistant to insulin, it is not able to respond the way it should to this hormone. This leads to increased glucose levels in our body and as a reaction, the brain sends signals to the pancreas to produce more insulin for processing and suppressing the level of glucose. As a result, both glucose and insulin levels increase in the body. Insulin resistance is a common problem in women suffering from PCOS, making them more susceptible to type 2 diabetes. To overcome such a situation, Dr. Dadu recommends Myo-Inositol supplements which act like an insulin-sensitising agent and regulate the body’s cells to utilise glucose in the blood for energy with the help of insulin, which further prevents the body from producing excessive insulin.
- Reduces Acne and Facial Hair - Elevated insulin leads to an increase in the production of androgen, a male hormone that causes more acne and increases facial hair. Myo-inositol supplements help to improve insulin levels due to which androgen also moves from normal to abnormally low levels in women.
- Normalizes LH to FSH Ratio - LH to FSH ratio is the proportion of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels measured in the blood. Women who have PCOD or PCOS show an increased LH to FSH ratio, and this also leads to irregular periods due to raised male hormone levels. Myo-Inositol helps to normalise this LH to FSH ratio due to which periods become regular and hormonal issues improve.
- Works as a Natural Antidepressant - Myo-Inositol helps balance serotonin, dopamine, and other vital neurotransmitters in the brain that affect our mood and thus works like a natural depressant and helps to elevate our mood.
- Helps with Weight Loss - Myo-Inositol controls sugar cravings and binge eating which further facilitates weight loss.
Many Myo-inositol supplements that are available in the market are fortified with Vitamin D and Folic Acid. It is because Vitamin D also helps to improve insulin levels and Folic acid helps in acne reduction. Moreover, Myo-Inositol supplements are well-tolerated and do not result in serious side effects in most.
Disclaimer: The above content is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a qualified physician or doctor. The Company does not vouch for or endorse any of the above content, and disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the same.