Microdermabrasion: A Treatment For Glowing And Younger Skin
Nearly all of us desire to have a glowing, smooth and youthful looking skin and in today’s time, it’s definitely within our reach. Microdermabrasion is an excellent option that can help us to get a more youthful and radiant glow.
In this article, let’s take a detailed look at microdermabrasion, its uses and benefits and know about the various steps involved in this cosmetic procedure from a known dermatologist, Dr. Nirupama Parwanda.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a noninvasive cosmetic procedure used to renew overall skin tone and texture. It can exfoliate the skin, reduce signs of ageing and make the skin appear more even. In this procedure, a special applicator with an abrasive surface is used to gently sand away the thick outer layer of the skin to rejuvenate it. The entire procedure of microdermabrasion usually takes around 45 minutes and is considered safe for most skin types and colour. For better results, one may require four-five sessions of this procedure. These sessions may take place weekly, every two weeks or monthly depending on the skin type and reason for treatment.
Uses and Benefits of microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion helps to banish hyperpigmentation and makes a person’s complexion smoother and brighter. People often choose to get this procedure done to address following skin concerns:
- Fine line and wrinkles
- Hyperpigmentation, age spots and brown spots
- Acne and acne scars
- Stretch marks
- Enlarged pores and blackheads
- Dull looking skin complexion
- Uneven skin tone and texture
- Sun damage
Microdermabrasion may also be used to enhance the results of skin bleaching products as it can help these products penetrate the skin.
Microdermabrasion procedure steps:
Dr. Parwanda explains the four steps involved in this cosmetic procedure.
- Cleansing: In this step, all the oil and dirt is removed from the skin.
- Gentle Exfoliation: A diamond tip handpiece is used to gently exfoliate dead cells in your skin and at the same time it will suction them off immediately. Exfoliation is done over the entire face and around the eyes as well.
- Serum: Once exfoliation is done, Vitamin C or Hyaluronic acid-based serum is applied over the face and it is left for while to get absorbed so as to give an instant glow.
- Peel-off mask: The final step is the use of a peel-off mask to hydrate the skin and give it gentle care.
Once the entire procedure of microdermabrasion is complete, a sunscreen best suited for the patient is applied as the skin can be more sensitive to the sun in the few weeks after the treatment.
The common side effects of this cosmetic procedure include mild tenderness, swelling and redness but these generally go away within a few hours after treatment.
There may also be minor bruising which is mostly caused by the suction process during the treatment. The patients might be advised to use a moisturiser to minimise dry and flaky skin.
How to prepare for microdermabrasion?
- Avoid using any exfoliating creams and topical acne medications three days prior to appointment.
- Avoid any direct sun exposure at least seven days before the treatment
- Stop using NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) like Aspirin, Aleve, Motrin, or Advil at least one week before the procedure as they increase the risk of bleeding or facial rashes.
- Avoid facial treatments in the week before your appointment as microdermabrasion peels away a layer of skin and any treatments that leave your skin more sensitive can lead to discomfort or other problems.
- In case you have a sudden breakout of acne, a boil, or any other rash on the face a day before your treatment then reschedule your appointment.
There is little to no downtime after microdermabrasion and you can resume your daily activities immediately. Also, you can expect to see the noticeable results immediately after the procedure.Disclaimer: The above content is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a qualified physician or doctor. The Company does not vouch for or endorse any of the above content, and disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the same.